LIVE BLOG: Council April 2

Documents

Agenda

Minutes from March 19

Executive Reports

Board of Governors Meeting Report (with graphs!)

 

Action Item 5.1 is struck from the agenda. Minutes from March 19 approved.

Reports

Me! I went to a university budget consultation and it was mediocre.

JS and Daniel went to their first Board of Governors meeting! They have a full written report that I will add above. The BoG approved a motion to convert five sessional positions to tenure-track appointments. FINALLY. This is a fantastic amazing thing that is long overdue. Capital spending was approved, although the budget won’t be until June. The UKC Teachers’ Association (representing 5 FYP fellows) approved a new agreement with the Board. Interesting report on enrolment from the Registrar’s Office. We’re ahead of last year in applications and offers. FYP Arts enrolment is down again but Science and Journalism are up a lot. This year is the beginning of a four-year retention plan.

Riel: FYP shirt designs were picked and 75 shirts were ordered! There are still shirts left! They cost $9. Some tutors have bought them!

Drew: didn’t do much! Went to the GM. Worked on something about the campus, and maybe Kelly Regan? I zoned out for two seconds and it makes it look like Drew is slacking but SHE ISN’T I’M JUST TIRED SORRY.

Brennan: long report in a big font, Brennan says “Yahoo.” Food services! Chartwell’s won the contract. Food Services committee met 29 times in 9 months, Brennan put together a student and staff survey and made sure that the RFP included students’ concerns. Seriously read this report, it’s really important and Brennan did a buttload of work. By the end of this process Brennan was dissatisfied with the lack of debate. Chartwell’s has threatened the Galley’s independence. The Wardroom is currently the first point of contact for bar service on campus but this is not documented. There is not good precedent at King’s for keeping staff as service providers change. Students are mobilizing to make sure our voices our heard. Minutes after the University made their announcement, students posted their own advisory and began petitioning with four specific demands that address the issues above. The Union’s video has been viewed 5,000 times and the petition already has over 200 signatures.

Went to a Board of Governors meeting and the KSU Spring GM. Exec identified individual and also collective goals. BoG has a Governance committee meeting where Brennan will report on the March 1st town hall (the one that sucked). Brennan will reiterate that what we actually need is open Board meetings. Gina Grattan and Hannah Sparwasser-Soroka have started their work as Orientation Week Coordinators.

I ask Brennan about specific ways in which Chartwell’s has been threatening the Galley.

10:21:08 AM. In camera.

10:35:49 AM. Ex camera.

Lianne: report on sexual assault panel went very very well, tabling and petitioning too. All panelists donated their honoraria to Avalon Sexual Assault Centre. Lianne strongly encourages future Journalism Reps to host similar events. Student appreciation night is coming up. Attended the Racial Justice Symposium which was kicked off with a Black Lives Matter Toronto panel on Friday night. Went to lots of workshops this weekend that were really interesting and valuable. CUBE Coordinator applications are going to remain open until tomorrow night. There will be another Council meeting to approve these hires within approximately a week. Lianne also sits on the Alex Fountain Memorial Lecture committee.

Zoe: spring budget passed at the KSU GM! Zoe held several events to consult with students and get feedback on the budget leading up the GM. These sessions weren’t super well attended but we did get several people coming out. She recommends more direct outreach and tabling in future years. We moved $0.88 out of surplus into contingency. UHPs got a raise finally! Nominations are open for Valedictorian and Honourary Class President. Valedictorian speeches will be tomorrow night in the Wardroom, hosted by Nat Marsh and Josh Feldman, with voting to follow. University’s budget consultation was more of a presentation, we continue to impress upon them the importance of reducing tuition and fees. Free menstrual health products are now available in and outside of the KSU office.

Marie: consent coalition tabling with letter to Kelly Regan has been going well. More tabling will happen this week. International Student Consultation happened last week with CFS-NS. Discussion of issues in Nova Scotia and at King’s especially. AGM was successful. Exec has been working on campaign around the Galley and food services, we are ready to take the necessary measures to protect these spaces!

Cassie: Cassie has been TWAKing and working on the General Meeting! The goal for the next AGM is to have much higher attendance. Bylaw Review Committee was elected at the GM! Send Cassie emails with announcement for the ‘what’s happening this week’ chalkboard in the Wardroom. CRO Search committee also has a recommendation for hiring!

Brennan says this GM had “one of the best snack spreads” that he’s ever seen.

10:50:39 AM. Recess.

10:55:51 AM. We’re back.

 

Action Items

BIRT __________ be hired as the Chair for the 2017/2018 academic year.

Charlotte temporarily transfers the role of Chair to Zoe Brimacombe.

Brennan reports on the work of the Chair Search Committee. They recommend Charlotte Sullivan be hired again. The one blank in the motion is filled with the one name.

Brennan: Charlotte has lots of experience inside and out of the Union with policy and other important relevant stuff.

Drew: Charlotte is the only person I’ve ever heard say she loves Robert’s Rules. (I am DEEPLY offended by this, I also love them.) Motion passes.

BIRT __________ be hired as the Chief Returning Officer for the 2017/2018 academic year.

Cassie reports on the work of the Chief Returning Officer Search Committee. They recommend Gina Grattan be hired as CRO. The one blank in the motion is filled with the one name.

Lianne: Gina has been invaluable to the Union in the past and even still now!

Cassie: Gina has loads of experience with the Union and has been through the elections process before. She answered all our questions perfectly. Motion passes.

BIRT Simon Gillies receive an honorarium of $125 for his work as a CUBE coordinator in the winter term.

Lianne: Simon is great! CUBE has added badminton and ball hockey to their cycle and they were the most attended. They spent most of their budget on badminton supplies, would like more money for floor hockey nets and pads. Had a dodgeball tournament. Suggested partnering with NSCAD for some ~friendly~ competition between schools. Simon has done a fantastic job with CUBE this year.

Brennan: supervised Simon and Itai for most of this year, they were great, we were lucky to have them. Motion passes.

BIRT Itai Kuwodza receive an honorarium of $125 for her as a CUBE coordinator in the winter term.

Lianne: Itai has had a lot of accidents this term but has still been enthusiastic and supportive and come to as many events as she can. She got a bunch of awards at the athletics banquet, has been crucial to running CUBE. Motion passes.

BIRT Margaret Dingwell receive an honorarium of $250 for her work as scribe in the winter term.

Cassie: quick minutes turnaround is super important and Maggie has been great.

JS: Maggie was amazing all year! Motion passes.

BIRT The History of Science and Technology Society receive $19.55 in non-contingent funding to purchase snacks for the HOSTSoc Annual General Meeting on April 7.

Zoe: this was our only request and so finance committee did not meet. This meeting will be in the Wilson Room, will also include a preview of the Tooth & Claw journal. Motion passes.

 

New Business

Brennan: there will be another Council meeting for some last-minute business within the next week.

11:09:30 AM. Adjourned!