LIVE BLOG: Council November 19, 2017

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone had an awesome study break and got home safely!

10:10 Called to order

10:11 Agenda  approved

10:11 Minutes from last meeting approved with minor edits

ORAL REPORTS

Chris – Not much to report. During the study break I talked with Student Council representatives at Quest University in Squamish, BC, to look for new ideas and events to bring back to Halifax. Once I get more details I can’t wait to bring these up with students and other Council and Exec members.

Kaila – Not much to report. Going to plan a couple coding workshops in January for J-School. Coding is only offered in the Master’s program right now. This would help out graduate students who want to learn how to code. Alex Quan from Global News has volunteered to teach the workshop

Heather – Has a few meetings coming up. One with the Dean of Students about issues with the kitchen in Alex Hall, and a Food Service meeting.

Izzy – Adrianna and Izzy are planning an art mentorship group!

Cedric – DSS has been working on the holidays party in the Wardy on the 30th!

Daniel – Getting into gear for the last BOG meeting before the break. Talking about consultation with Indigenous students and working toward reconciliation with the BOG and how that can be enacted on campus

Aeriana – Has started a FYP Science Facebook group

Adrianna – Thinking about doing an art student study group with some snacks and breaks for an easier time

JS – Getting ready with Daniel for the December BOG meeting!

EXECUTIVE REPORTS

Lianne: Thanks for attending the last councillor training session. Attended the Podcast listening event which went really well. Also attended the Race in a Glass nation, which went very well and had a great turnout.

There is a Campus Planning Committee Town Hall where they will discuss changes to the Tri-Bays as well as accessibility needs.

Marie: Met with the WUSC levy board. Lots of outreach happened since the last meeting: Free Cider for Free Education, outreach on Racism and Colonialism. Shout out to Lianne for her hard work on Desmond Cole’s talk at King’s on October 25th! It was awesome!

Attended the Canadian Federation of Students Provincial Executive meeting  where they reviewed reports from member locals.

Upcoming: Divest 101 on Tuesday in the Wardroom. Divest Dal will begin a week-long campout at Dalhousie starting Wednesday to put divestment back on the table. Also keep your eyes peeled for a Fight the Fees meeting.

Cassie: Keeping up with the day-to-day social media.

November 23rd: University will hold consultations on the 2018-2019 budget. This is an awesome opportunity! Goes from 2:30-6:30.

On November 30th, the Alex Fountain Lecture will be held from 7:30-8:40 in Alumni Hall. The speaker this year is Tanya Tagaq will present a lecture titled “Climate, Culture, and Collaboration.” This sounds SUPER rad!

Brennan and Zoe are away :'(

10:26 ACTION ITEMS

5.1. BIRT the King’s Jewish Book Club receive $20 in contingent funding to purchase chips and drinks for a discussion titled “Hannah Arendt: The Jew as Pariah” on November 22nd, 2017. Motion passes

5.2. BIRT the CSP Students’ Society receive $53.00 in contingent funding to purchase coffee and cookies for “Shut Up & Write!”, an event to give CSP a focused environment in which to work, on November 26th, 2017. Motion passes

5.3. BIRT the King’s Wordsmiths receive $68.26 in contingent funding to purchase King’s Bookstore gift cards, pens, and notebooks to serve as prizes for the 100 Word Dash Writing Contest, which closes on November 30th, 2017 at midnight. Motion passes

5.4. BIRT the Unconscious Collective Vocal Ensemble receive $167 in contingent funding to purchase food, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages for the reception following their winter concert “All For a New Day” on December 1st, 2017.

5.5. BIRT the Students Advocating for Representative Curricula (SNARC) Society receive $1065.00 in non-contingent funding to purchase drink tickets and provide honoraria for, “SNARCon 2018: Intersections”, from January 19, 2018- January, 20, 2018. Moved to table by Marie.

In camera (10:35)

Ex-camera (11:03)

11:03 15 minute Recess!

11:26 We’re back!

Motion to table Item 5.5. is still on the table.

Drew Guyan from SNARC is here to participate in the discussion. Drew is concerned about the lack of communication surrounding the funding request, and is going into detail regarding the actual request.

Daniel thanks Drew for coming in on no notice, and apologizes on behalf of council for the lack of communication

Marie also thanks Drew for coming and acknowledges the issue with miscommunication. Marie says there might be an issue with retro-active funding concerning the honouraria.

Lianne is talking about how difficult this conversation is to have without Zoe here, but is totally okay with voting on this and possibly granting the funding request.

JS says that we have all the information we need to grant a funding request. Not having Zoe here does not affect the amount of information we need to grant the request.

Kaila feels comfortable voting on this, and expresses her frustration at the length of the meeting and the miscommunication that has caused it. We should have all the information we need coming into Council

Drew apologizes for the lateness of the request. Originally there were two coordinators and one had to drop out, so the late search for another coordinator made this process harder.

Lianne says that they are a lot of conversations that happen in private that aren’t necessarily ‘back-door’ meetings.

Daniel says the onus is not on SNARC for the failure of Council and the Finance Committee and that we have a duty to consider the notion.

Marie would like to again acknowledge the miscommunication. The intent behind the motion to table is not to stop SNARC from happening, but to include all the voices that need to be a part of the process in the process.

Cassie is apologizing for her lack of diligence with the agenda. It was put on the agenda without her knowing. As Cassie understood it was being moved to next council.

JS is asking Cassie who put it on the agenda without her knowing. Cassie doesn’t know. JS says there is a lack of transparency between Council and the Executive. We have the information we need to grant the request, and it is troubling that this ended up on the agenda without the Communications VP knowing. It is important to have this conversation.

Daniel says we have all the people we need to make this decision.

Kaila agrees with Daniel. This isn’t SNARC’s fault and we shouldn’t table it. Council should convene internally and find out how we are misinformed

Lianne says Zoe put the item on the Agenda.

Lianne calls the question.

11:45 The question is called

5.5. BIRT the Students Advocating for Representative Curricula (SNARC) Society receive $1065.00 in non-contingent funding to purchase drink tickets and provide honoraria for, “SNARCon 2018: Intersections”, from January 19, 2018- January, 20, 2018.

Motion to TABLE this item is denied.

Cedric says this lack of transparency is a continuing problem and should be addressed.

5.5. BIRT the Students Advocating for Representative Curricula (SNARC) Society receive $1065.00 in non-contingent funding to purchase drink tickets and provide honoraria for, “SNARCon 2018: Intersections”, from January 19, 2018- January, 20, 2018. Motion passes 

5.6. BIRT ________be elected to the Watch Board of Publishers as a Member-at-Large for the 2017/18 academic year.

Marie nominates Michelle Cuthbert

Lianne nominates Laura Hardy

JS originally held this position, and found out that members of Council aren’t allowed to fill this position. We should consider this. There are people who are interested in serving on Council and who are also interested in journalism. This is a concerning limitation.

Kaila would like to note that if she was a Dalhousie Student she would not be able to work for the DSU and the Dalhousie Gazette at the same time.

Hannah (our Watch reporter) says there were concerns in the last General Meeting about the KSU and the Watch’s relationship. Put this into place to distinguish the two bodies.

JS thinks there is a difference between saying this for the board than for the executive. This specific position should be open to all members who pay a levy to the watch.

Daniel calls the question. Passes

5.6. BIRT Laura Hardy be elected to the Watch Board of Publishers as a Member-at-Large for the 2017/18 academic year. Motion passes

5.7. BIRT______and_______be elected to the University Equity Committee for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Lianne nominates Jayde Tynes

Lianne nominates Eddie Cuevas

Marie nominates Hannah MacDougall

Aeriana Narbonne nominates herself

Lianne nominates Hilary Allistar

5.7. BIRT Jayde Tynes and Eddie Cuevas be elected to the University Equity Committee for the 2017-2018 academic year. Motion passes

Next meeting is on TBD

12:07)Movement to adjourn. Motion passes 

2017-11-19_Council_Agenda (1