Council Live Blog – November 18th, 2018

Welcome back to the council live-blog! We currently do not have quorum. We will be sitting around till we get it – oh the joys of politics!

We now how quorum, thanks to the many councillors who agreed to be on speaker phone. Exciting!

Called to order!

Amendment to agenda: add item number 4, oral reports of councillors.

A couple of other motions have also been added – we will get to them soon.

The minutes from last meeting are adopted.

3.1 Report of the President, read by the SLVP.

Two town halls were held for the sexualized violence committee policy. Lianne attended and organized Maritime RISE conference. October 22nd and 23rd, she attended a keynote for the launch of ReconciliACTION. Fifteen and Fairness tabled in the Wardy, and she also sat on various committees. There is an upcoming panel on sexual violence and the law.

3.2 Report of the SLVP

Throwback October 12th 13: attended councillor training. Attended the AGM, meeting with NSPIRG, the KTS. Externally: helped out with Fight the Fees campaign. Prepared for the fan fall fest. Both teams won! End of November: there will be volleyball tournament. CUBE is happening. Next Sunday: bouldering! November 5th: the slvp is SINGING in a choir concert omg this is wild, Michael Greenlaw will be singing Hayden? Wow my mind is blown.

3.3 Report of the FVP (on speakerphone!)

Last two weeks: very relaxed. Marie did some intensive consultation prior to passing the budget, lots of internal organizing, discussed O-Week finances. Marie has been going through the union’s financial statements, and she loves going to the bank. (Can’t say I relate to that, but to each their own I guess.)

3.4 Report of the EVP, read by the CVP

Isabelle organized a soft fight the fees meeting, discussed the MOU, and organized tabling around the renegotiation of the MOU. November 8th she organized a meeting on the December 6th BOG. 2nd consent culture event was on the 29th: a workshop on active listening. November 7th: meeting concerning a panel she will part of (sorry it’s hard to keep up with all the things). Oct. 23rd she attended the launch of ReconciliACTION. She will be holding two MOU related events in the last month of November. November 27th: third consent culture event.

3.5 Report of the CVP

The fall general meeting took place, Izzy attended the campaigning for 15 and Fairness. TWAK is still a thing! Office hours: 10:30 to 11:30. Izzy attended the RISE keynote at MSVU. Upcoming dates: izzy will set up a BRC meeting.

4. Oral Reports of Councillors

Nick attended on conference on accessibility, and is thinking about making it the base for an event. Cédric and Patsy have attended the GM, sexual violence policy town halls, and so has Emily. JS went to the slavery inquiry and had a separate meeting with Bill Lahey and Tim Curry to make the journalism school safer and more welcoming for radicalized students. Meeting people in the J-School to encourage anti-oppression training.  Hope has also attended various of the above-mentioned meetings, and went to the active listening training, got her password for her email and will attend a dal science society meeting tomorrow!

5. Action items

5.1 BIRT the Students for Sustainability be ratified as a Tier I society for the 2018/19 academic year.

Marie motions to suspend the rules and go through business out of order ( she needs to leave soon)

5.2 BIRT the Unconscious collective vocal ensemble receive 333.74$ for various events (haven’t had the time to note it all down, Zoe is talking fast!) The motion carries.

5.6 BIRT that (blank) be elected to sit on the university board of appeals.

The board appeals is for any academic appeals that are put forward, and it’s important to have a student representative there.

The floor is open to nominations.

Marie nominates Levi Clarkson. Levi has been involved with the union in various capacities, and will do a great job!

Levi is elected and the motion passes!

Marie is now getting off of speaker phone. Chris will now call in.

Back to 5.1!

5.1 BIRT the Students for Sustainability be ratified as a Tier I society for the 2018/19 academic year

A new society! Michael has been meeting with students who are working on it. Their goal is to promote sustainable practices and encourage people to think about sustainability.

It passes!

5.3 BIRT Sodales, the Dalhousie/King’s debate team be ratified as a tier 1 society.

It passes!

5.4 BIRT that (blank) and (blank) be elected to sit on the university equity committee.

Ciara Gordon, Marlee Sanson, Levi Clarkson, Dominique Amit are nominated.

Marlee Sanson and Dominique Amit have been elected to fill in the blanks. The motion will not be passed with their names to fill in the blanks.

5.5 BIRT (blank) be elected to sit on enrolment management committee.

Beth Airton has been nominated.

Beth is elected, and the motion passes.

There is no new business. We are adjourned. Yay!