Tag Archives: council

LIVE BLOG: Council September 17

Documents 

Agenda

Executive Reports

Goooood Morning King’s! It’s me! JS! Your current BoG rep! In the absence of former member at large JBK, I am writing the live blog this morning! Cheers!

10:04 – We are called to ORDER!

10:05- In Camera ~~

10:23- Ex Camera

10:24- Motion to strike Chair’s Report from last April’s minutes. Motion passes 5-4. The report is no longer in the minutes but is available on the KSU website here.

10:26- Councillor Reports

FG, Riel have not done too much but they are here! Nice! It’s the beginning of the year!

Cedric says DSS has been doing a lot lately because they were heavily involved with O-Week

I defer to my co-BoG member Daniel! He talked about the board meeting that was held on June 22. It was a budget-related meeting in which we talked about student fees and managed to freeze ancillary fees for the first time ever! We are also gearing up for the next Board of Governor’s meeting this coming Thursday.

10:30- Executive Reports!

See the documents above! I am eating my breakfast!

Brennan:

I ask whether any work has been done to start putting together community guidelines in the Wardroom following discussions around WuTang Night.

Daniel confirmed when the Galley space agreement expired. The report reads December 31st, 2017 but it’s actually 2016.

Lianne:

Daniel asks whether Lianne is part of meetings to replace the don of Cochran bay. She is, but the meeting happened this Friday so it is not included in her report.

Zoe:

Daniel speaks in favour of pre-council funding plan!

I am asking whether it is ok to have the executive only vote on a motion without bringing it to council. According to Robert’s Rules it is not, but this was an extraordinary circumstance.

Daniel asks if it is possible to add a motion approving the funding in question (see section 1.2 of the FVP report). This would be retroactive and is thus against our bylaws so we are not going to do that.

Marie:

Cedric wants to know whether the UHPs are new or simply reworked…they have been reworked with feedback from former UHPs to create project-based roles. Very cool!

Cassie:

no queries 🙂

10:53- 5 min RECESS!!!!

11:00- we took a little too long sorry.

REPORT OF THE HOSPITALITIES COORDINATOR:

-Legally, the galley and the wardy are A-OK!

-There are some new staff and some graduated staff

-There are new drinks and food, like Caesar’s and Bulwark and Tea North in the Wardroom and SOUP at the Galley!! Very exciting that we have non-alcoholic drink items in the Wardroom that are not just coca-cola products! I am happy and excited!

-We need a permanent lighting system still. Jenn is a boss and she is working on it.

I ask Jenn about the community guidelines and she says they are talking about it within management! Cheers!

11:10- Report of the Services and Campaigns Coordinator!!!

-Michaela was involved with Grad week and O-Week! Nice!

-She also went to a CFS general meeting which was very cool

-There are new Sexual and Menstrual Health Products, like latex-free condoms <3

-There has been a LOT of work done re: Health and Dental Plan which is amazing because it’s a really good and unique plan specific to King’s students!!! The plan rate has gone up moderately, but is still comparably affordable. The opt-out day is TOMORROW if you are looking to opt-out of the plan.

-ISIC cards are going to be ~~mobile~~ this year which means that the ISIC printer can be brought to different events, etc. so we can all have International Student Identity Cards! (you should get one it counts as student ID literally internationally)

Also of note: Moka is a sweet office dog who is hypoallergenic and sleepy which makes for a nice office pet 🙂

11:20- Grad Week Report (delivered by the SCC)

-This year no grad week coordinators were hired, and grad week was run by the SCC in coordination with the hospitalities coordinator and the executive. Overall there were some kinks to work out, but this system was trial and error for this year so it went well.

-The report recommends that, in future years, the responsibility of coordinating Grad Week should fall on the staff-people, rather than on UHPs that would have to be hired and trained. Zoe and Brennan offer their support for this.

11:27- ACTION ITEMS (see agenda!)

6.1. BIRT the King’s Cycling Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao – passes unanimously 

6.2. BIRT the King’s Pride Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.3. BIRT the Dalhousie/King’s Fashion Design Show Society be ratified as a Tier 2 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

amended to read Tier 2

6.4. BIRT the King’s Jewish Book Club Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.5. BIRT the King’s Foreign Film Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.6. BIRT the King’s Chess Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.7. BIRT the St. Andrew’s Mission Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.8. BIRT that the King’s Wordsmiths Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.9. BIRT the King’s Outdoor and Sustainability Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.10. BIRT the South House be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously  (Lianne and Zoe abstain because they are on the SoHo board)

6.11. BIRT the Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.12. BIRT the Dalhousie/King’s Bike Society be ratified as a Tier 1 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

6.13. BIRT the Unconscious Collective be ratified as a Tier 2 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously 

amended this and the following three motions (6.13-6.16 inclusive) to read Tier 2

6.14. BIRT the Haliburton Society be ratified as a Tier 2 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao  – passes unanimously (Daniel abstains as he is on the exec)

Some executives of Haliburton are here to speak in favour! CHEEEEEEERS! <3 <3 <3

6.15. BIRT the King’s Theatrical Society be ratified as a Tier 2 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao – passes unanimously

6.16. BIRT the Early Modern Studies Society be ratified as a Tier 2 society for the 2017-2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao – passes unanimously

Keenan (an EXEC <3 <3) says that Babel is going to be published and some more connectivity with the community will be happening! Cute!

6.17. BIRT the Wordsmith’s Society receive $33.10 in contingent funding to purchase hot chocolate, tea, and baked goods for their Fall AGM on September 21st. Moved by Zoe Brimacombe – Finance Committee has no recommendation  – passes unanimously

6.18. BIRT the King’s Foreign Film Society receive $35 in contingent funding to purchase baguettes and assorted cheeses for their first film screening of the 2017/18 year on September 21st. Moved by Zoe Brimacombe – Finance Committee has no recommendation  – passes unanimously

6.19. BIRT the Haliburton Society receive $1746.32 in non-contingent funding to cover the costs of their operations throughout the year, including food and drinks for both regular meetings (biweekly, beginning September 20th) and the Fellows Dinner, banking fees, and five acquisitions. Moved by Zoe Brimacombe – Finance Committee has no recommendation – passes unanimously (Daniel abstains as he is on the executive)

6.20. BIRT ________, ___________, ___________, and _________ be elected members of the KSU Finance Committee for the 2017-2018 academic year.

We are filling the blanks with the names Angela Capobianco , Katie Buckley, Mary Innes, and Levi Clarkson.

passes unanimously

6.21. BIRT ________, ___________, and ________, be elected members of the KSU staff person search and review committee for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Nominations: Alexandra Sweny, Allison Lord, Brianna Dunn, Julia-Simone Rutgers (that is melol)

Zoe is very excited to see people who work in our businesses being on the committee! That is very nice!

blanks are filled by Julia-Simone Rutgers, Allison Lord, and Brianna Dunn

passes unanimously

6.22. BIRT ___________, and ________ be elected to the University Food Services Advisory Committee for the 2017-2018 academic year.

We are tabling this for now because we want to make sure the people that sit in the meeting are people who eat in Prince Hall see the minutes for Brennan’s description of the role also there is a post about it on the KSU Facebook page… anyone interested should get in touch with Brennan!

Tabling passes unanimously

11:59 – New business

NEW MOTION:

7.1 BIRT the Day Student’s Society be ratified as a Tier 2 society for the 2017/2018 academic year. Moved by Lianne Xiao

Cedric speaks about the DSS and how they won’t need funding. Brennan expresses his support of the DSS and their hard work these past couple weeks.

passes unanimously 

Other business:

-Nominations for fall councillor elections open NEXT WEEK!!!!

12:02 – MOTION TO ADJOURN!!!!

bye. love ya, see ya soon.

LIVE BLOG: Council April 9

It’s the last Council meeting of the year, for real this time!

Documents

Agenda

Minutes from last Council on April 2, 2017

Report of the Chief Returning Officer

Report of the Scribe

 

Reports

No written Exec reports for this meeting! I’ll blog oral reports as best I can!

10:11:27 AM. Just waiting for a printed copy of the minutes from last Council!

10:18:23 AM. We’re starting!!

Agenda adopted, minutes approved.

JS: JS has not done much since last week!

Me: neither!

Daniel: also not a lot! Making plans for the summer.

FG: samesies!

Cedric: on Friday the DSS had a “Beer with Bill” event that went very well. They learned that alcohol increases turnout! Expect more of this.

Lucia: there’s been trouble this year with students maintaining spaces and materials, like kitchen supplies. She’s been talking with the Assistant Dean about organizing a ‘respect the space’ workshop for o-week next year.

Riel: still hawking FYP shirts!

Brennan: food services update, Bonnie Sands has committed fully to all four of our demands! The Union celebrated this as a huge win for students. YAY.

Lianne: CUBE search committee has found two people! Also been working on o-week leader interviews. Also student and society appreciation night happened and it was great!

Zoe: distributed honoraria cheques to UHPs this week and has been celebrating the food services.

Marie: tabling with letter to Kelly Regan. Yesterday Gina and Marie went to an Exec meeting of CFS-NS, recapped the past year and brainstormed for next year.

Cassie: not much! Keeping on top of chalkboards and social media and TWAK etc.

 

Cassie is delivering the report of the Chief Returning Officer, Hannah MacDougall. It’s LONG which is GREAT but I don’t love typing so please go read the PDF linked above! This report is really really good, seriously, read it.

Cassie delivers the report of the Scribe, Maggie Dingwell (who is here taking minutes right now! whee!) This will be linked above once I get it, it’s short and sweet.

Charlotte delivers her report, as Chair. Charlotte is stoked about having had a great term, and about working another term next year! Procedurally this year was very smooth. BRC met very frequently and compiled a report about 20 pages long. Communication between BRC and the Executive left a lot to be desired from both sides. The first draft of this report was sent to the KSU President in January, but the committee received no feedback until a week before the General Meeting. This led to a frustrating but important conversation, and the committee’s final report was 7 pages. This was the right decision but communication should have been better, earlier. Charlotte is very excited about UHP pay raises. She would like Council agendas to go out 24hr in advance!

I ask Charlotte if she can clarify the status of the CRO’s recommendations, which I think were included in BRC’s original report but removed from the final version.

Charlotte says over the summer the SCC, President, CRO, and Chair will work on referendum procedures and amendments based on the CRO’s report, these will come to the Fall GM.

Brennan adds that just because these recommendations didn’t come forward at the Spring GM, doesn’t mean they aren’t super valuable and will be a continued source of guidance. Brennan also thanks Charlotte for a great term and is stoked to work with her next year.

 

Action Items

BIRT __________ and __________ be hired as the CUBE coordinators for the 2017/2018 academic year.

Lianne: the committee is putting forward Ellen Zagar and Cooper Toogood.

Brennan is stoked that we are paying these people more! Blanks filled with two names. Motion passes.

BIRT __________ be hired as the Scribe for the 2017/2018 academic year.

Cassie: this committee has met twice and is recommending Michael Greenlaw. Blank filled with one name. Motion passes.

BIRT __________, __________, and __________ be appointed to the Staff Person Review & Search Committee.

I moved this so it didn’t get forgotten!

Brennan: this committee oversees hiring and reviewing our staff people. It slipped Brennan’s mind that this committee needed to be elected. It’s very important that these reviews happen. Brennan moves to table this motion because not enough advertising has happened for these positions.

I emphasize how important it is that this committee sits now to receive feedback. Also, several members of Council have reached out to people to sit on it. I don’t think it should be tabled.

Zoe: sat on this committee last year as FVP. Is in favour of tabling it. There has not been any advertising for these roles, she doesn’t feel comfortable putting names forward. Also, in the past reviews have happened in the Fall. Brennan is the direct supervisor of these staff people, and the committee doesn’t have any power to do anything. It doesn’t have as much weight as Jacob has suggested.

Brennan: hiring and review should be given equal weight. These are both very important though, doesn’t feel comfortable electing people that were contacted individually. As President, he does supervise them directly and is committed to making himself available for feedback.

Daniel: asks if there is a mandate for members to sit for a full year? Could we elect temporary members?

Brennan: theoretically yes, but this committee doesn’t need to sit over the summer.

Lucia: seconds what Brennan said about committees being friends of councillors.

JS: what if we moved it to the summer Council meeting? Shouldn’t it happen before contract renewal?

Me: has contract renewal happened?

Brennan: yes.

Me: does the President have the authority to renew contracts without Council’s approval?

Charlotte: yes.

I move the meeting in camera.

10:56:14 AM. In camera.

11:23:04 AM. Ex camera.

Recess for 5min.

Motion is to table Item 6.3, the motion for the Staff Review Committee. Motion passes, main motion is tabled.

 

New Business

I move: BIRT the President present a report to the Bylaw Review Committee, no later than that last Council meeting of 2017, making recommendations concerning a formal complaint process for the Union.

This is basically a safeguard to make sure that this actually happens. Motion passes.

Brennan: this is our last Council meeting of the academic year! It’s been great, can’t wait to work with everyone who’s coming back in the Fall!

Cassie reminds everyone to submit their final reports to her!

11:34:25 AM. Adjourned.

 

P.S. This is my last KSU live blog ever! It’s been a blast, friends. Hang ten, it’s chill.