January 23rd Council Live Blog

Good morning everyone! Welcome to today’s council meeting.

10:04: Meeting called to order, land acknowledgment.

10:09: Agenda adopted.

10:10: Meeting minutes from last meeting adopted (with minor corrections).

10:10: Oral reports of the councillors.

Victor: Working on refurbishing pool tables, hoping to plan a Valentine’s event, planning increased DSS visibility this semester.

Sara: Nothing to report. Looking forward to getting back to campus next week!

Tessa: Participating in Academic Accessibility Working group, otherwise nothing to report.

Daniel: Meeting with residence staff on January 17th to discuss concerns. Informal ukings2026 Instagram account has been established for incoming students.

Julian: Nothing to report. Suggests that therapy should be more accessible to students at King’s.

Victoria: Notes Dal’s same-day counselling services.

Nick: KSU health plan does cover therapy/social workers. Wait times at Dal are high.

Aideen: Mental health supports at King’s are lacking. Dal Health can be difficult to access and there is a lack of therapists in Halifax generally. Isa Wright (or Jordan or Rhema) can be resources to help find care.

10:24: Oral reports of the executive.

Nick’s report (President): Student businesses (Wardy and Galley) will likely reopen about two weeks into February due to logistics of COVID policies.

Residence issues have been brought forward. Assistant Dean of Residence position has had a lot of turnover, making the problem worse. Restructuring is happening, to make two positions (one for student support and one for programming/functional organization). Don positions will be structured differently, a different group will do patrol work.

COVID policies: required 3-ply masks and boosters now available. Permanent pass/fail option for courses will be implemented. Working on further built-in supports for students to not be academically left behind when they get sick.

International student tuition committee is hoping to have lower international student fees than Dalhousie. Hoping to hire someone to help international students specifically.

Aideen: Offers to create a survey to get an idea of student’s comfort level being on campus.

Nick: Most classes are not returning to in-person yet because the decision has been shifted to individual faculties.

Daniel: FYP will be returning in-person, though tutorials are online or in-person.

Nick: Lectures are probably going to be posted as well.

Sara: That has not been well-communicated.

Nick: I will ask.

Julian: The option to stay online should stay open to students.

Nick: No decision can make everyone happy, but they should keep both options available for students.

Victoria: Profs don’t necessarily know how to facilitate a hybrid model and don’t have support to do so.

Daniel: Looking forward to residence changes, as it sounds like a positive impact will be made.

Kaitlyn’s report (SLVP): Executive meetings, office hours, meeting with residence staff on January 17th with Danial, advertising CKDU survey.

Victoria’s report (FVP): Budget Advisory Committee meetings, specifically regarding residence for next year; lots in discussion but no decisions made as of yet.

Daniel: Suggests video tours of all types of rooms to give incoming students a better idea of their accommodations.

Victoria: That conversation is being had, many people have brought up similar concerns.

Aideen’s report (EVP): Meeting with Julian about the Residence Representative role. Meeting with Non-Academic Accessibility working group. Nominations for the Executive Committee and Board of Governors open January 28th.

Sam’s report (CVP): TWAK last week, will go out again tomorrow. Preparing to advertise TWAK in-person upon return to campus.

10:55: Reports finished.

10:56: Discussion of ratification of the King’s Wellness Society.

11:00: BIRT the King’s Wellness Society be ratified

Put forward by Kaitlyn.



11:01: Motion to adjourn

Put forward by Nick.

Seconded by Victoria.

Meeting ends. Thanks everyone!

January 9th 2022 Council Live Blog

Good morning everyone! Welcome to the first council meeting of 2022/the winter term. Council is on Zoom today.

10:06: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgements by Emma Oliver and Aideen.

10:09: Agenda adopted. Meeting minutes from last council on December 5th approved.

10:10: Oral reports of the councillors.

Daniel: Helping to seek information and support from professors regarding online FYP, creation of a report about on-campus happenings during the break.

Question from Aideen: Can Daniel and Kaitlyn set up a meeting to discuss action items from Daniel’s report?

Daniel: Agrees.

Julian: Nothing to report. Plans to meet with the new assistant Dean of residence soon.

Emy: Nothing to report. Plans to be more vocal about availability to provide support for Arts students in future.

Sara: Nothing to report.

Victor: Pool stuff should be refurbished by the time King’s returns in-person.

10:16: Reports of the executive (full reports on Facebook).

Nick’s report (President): Acted as the contact person for urgent matters over the break. Involved in the hiring process of the new Assistant Dean, and the evolution of the role to include two positions in the future. Hot chocolate social for campus workers happened right before the break. Committee work.

Kaitlyn’s report (SLVP): Virtual office hours. Meetings with OH&S concerning evolving COVID-19 regulations. Planning to put together a team to participate in a fundraiser for the Halifax Humanities Society coming up at the end of January.

Victoria’s repost (FVP): Budget advisory committee meeting – discussions about tuition and fees for next year, particularly regarding the international student differential.

Nick: Notes some ideas and anticipated decisions from the other budget committee.

Victoria: Has mentioned student concerns about unequal fees for different rooms. Asks Julian to speak more on these concerns to residence staff if he has anything to add.

Aideen’s report (EVP): Nominations for Executive Committee and Board of Governors open soon. Otherwise, nothing to report.

Daniel: Is this for KSU council?

Aideen: Yes. Executive roles and BOG reps are elected second semester, while most council reps are elected first semester.

Sam’s report (CVP): Some Instagram stories were posted over the break, TWAK will go out tomorrow. Creations and posting of graphics about COVID information. Upcoming workshops hosted by SVPRO Jordan Roberts.

10:31: Nick explains that councillor training will happen in the next couple of weeks.

10:32: Increasing supports in residence may cause a 1-2% increase in residence fees.

Aideen, Victoria and Julian speak to concerns about this possibility and the current situation with online learning.

10:38: Concerns about online learning continue to be discussed.

Victoria: Asks students taking King’s courses to provide feedback regarding online learning.

10:42: Nick says that Dalhousie Faculty Association is advocating for courses to be online all winter term. King’s decision could differ from Dal’s.

10:44: Daniel speaks about the current FYP and residence situation.

Victoria: What will happen for people who choose not to return to residence and cannot come back for their stuff?

Aideen: Suggests that the union could help.

10:48: Continuation of discussions about factors related to the current situation with evolving COVID regulations.

10:59: Nick motions to adjourn. Seconded by Aideen.

11:00: Meeting adjourned.