May 6th Emergency Council

Welcome to the emergency council meeting!

6:04: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgment.

6:05: BIRT Paige Chaisson, Mason Carter and Neyve Egger be hired as the 2022-2033 Orientation Week Coordinators.

Moved by Victoria.

Motion passes.

6:08: BIRT Ellie Anderson be hired as the scribe for the 2022-2023 academic year.

Moved by Aidan.

Motion passes.

6:09: New business.

Conversation around making a donation in support of relief efforts in Yemen.

6:21: BIRT $100 be donated to a cause to support relief for the war in Yemen.

Moved by Julian.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motion passes.

6:27: Motion to adjourn.

Moved by Sam.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motion passes.

Have a great summer everyone!

April 3rd Council Liveblog

Good morning! Welcome to the council liveblog for April 3rd.

10:10: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgment.

10:17: Adoption of the agenda, with added finance committee motions regarding society funding.

10:18: Approval of the minutes from last council.

10:18: Oral reports of the councillors.

Daniel: FYP updates. HALP hiring committee.

Julian: Hearing complaints about the lack of vegetarian options in the dining hall. Otherwise, nothing to report.

Sam: Nothing to report from the BOG. Took part in the HALP hiring committee.

Sara: Attended the GM, final edits on the Academic Accessibility Committee plan.

Victor: End-of-year DSS admin, including budget.

10:24: Executive reports

Report of the President (Victoria): Spring GM, organizing hiring committees, attended a presentation from the sexualized violence review, first student government round table.

Report of the SLVP (Kaitlyn): As Kaitlyn is absent, Victoria gave a summary.

Office hours, executive committees, spring GM, meeting with a representative from Tailwind (an organization that provides students with mental health services), other meeting (details in report).

Report of the FVP (Kerri): Spring GM (budget passed), regular union finances, finance committee, O-Week Hiring Committee, meeting with Jordan Roberts.

Report of the EVP (Natalia): Discussing international student activism with students, meeting with Jordan Roberts about O-Week hiring process, spring GM.

Report of the CVP: Executive meetings, Bylaw Review Committee meeting, organizing hiring committees, TWAK, social media posts about the spring GM, hiring committees, executive committees and valedictorian.

10:38: Omnibus motion of bylaw amendments (5.1-5.6)

Moved by Aidan.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motion passes.

10:44: 5.7 BIRT Daniel Konopelski and Neyve Egger be elected to the Bylaw Review Committee.

Moved by Aidan.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Aidan.

Nominations.

Motion passes.

10:50: 5.8 BIRT —- be elected to Elections Committee.

Moved by Aidan.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Aidan.

Nomination.

Motion to table due to lack of nominations by Victoria, seconded by Daniel.

Motion tabled until next council.

10:54: 5.9 BIRT David Shuman, Daniel Konopelski and Sara MacCallum be elected to The Watch Board of Publishers.

Moved by Kerri.

Seconded by Daniel.

Nominations.

Motion passes.

11:02: 5.10 BIRT Sam Sharp and Mason Carter be elected to The Galley Board of Directors.

Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Aidan.

Nominations.

Motion passes.

11:07: 5.11 BIRT be elected to the WUSC (World University Service of Canada) Levy Board.

Moved by Natalia.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Natalia and Victoria.

Motion to table due to a lack of nominations by Victoria.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motion tabled.

11:15: 5.12 BIRT David Shuman, Emily Reid and Daniel Konopelski be elected to Academic Committee.

Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Aidan.

Motivated by Victoria.

Nominations.

Motion passes.

11:21: 5.13 BIRT Raeesa Alibhai be elected to the Scribe Hiring Committee.

Moved by Aidan.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motivated by Aidan.

Nomination.

Motion passes.

11:26: 5.14 BIRT Daniel Konopelski, Mason Carter and Sara MacCallum be elected to the Chief Returning Officer Hiring Committee.

Moved by Aidan.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motivated by Aidan.

Nomination.

Motion passes.

11:35: 5.15 BIRT Raeesa Alibhai be hired as the Chair for the 2022-2023 academic year.

Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Victoria.

Motion passes.

11:37: 5.16 BIRT Katie Cheslock be hired as the HALP (Healthy Active Living Coordinator) for the summer of 2022.

Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Sam.

Motivated by Victoria.

Motion passes.

11:43: 5.17 BIRT the King’s Tabletop Roleplaying Game Society be approved to receive $15.16 in contingent funding for their most recent in-person event.

Recommended by Finance Committee.

Moved by Kerri.

Seconded by Kaitlyn.

Motivated by Kerri.

Motion passes.

11:44: 5.18 BIRT the King’s Jewish Cultural Society receives $20.00 in contingent funding for their upcoming Passover event and AGM.

Recommended by Finance Committee.

Moved by Kerri.

Seconded by Aidan.

Motivated by Kerri.

Motion passes.

11:48: 5.19 BIRT the Chair be paid an honorarium of $850.00, having fulfilled their duties through the winter term.

Moved by Kerri.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Kerri and Daniel.

Motion passes.

11:50: 5.20 BIRT the Scribe be paid an honorarium of $400.00, having fulfilled their duties through the winter term.

Moved by Kerri.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Kerri.

Motion passes.

11:52: Motion to adjourn.

Moved by Sam.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motion passes.

Thanks everyone!

March 6th Council Liveblog

Good morning everyone! Welcome to council. Today is the last meeting with the current exec, thank you to them all for their work!

10:06: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgement.

10:07: Agenda adopted my unanimous consent.

10:08: Previous meeting minutes approved by unanimous consent.

10:08: Oral reports of the councillors.

Daniel: He will continue to be involved with council despite losing the exec election. Is working with Kaitlyn on developing a travel workshop for students.

Emy: Nothing to report. Likes the idea of a travel workshop and offers help.

Sara: Academic Accessibility Committee has submitted its first draft and received feedback. Will be meeting again tomorrow to review that feedback and start on the next draft.

Tessa: Not much happening with the BOG, looking forward to continuing to be a BOG rep next year. Academic Accessibility Committee was covered by Sara.

Victor: Valentine’s cards were delivered. DSS elections begin tomorrow, with nomination forms opening. Voting is on Thursday the 18th and Friday the 19th.

10:14: Executive reports

Nick: His last report at council. Committee regarding international student tuition did not reach a final decision on decoupling tuition from Dalhousie, but $100 000 in bursaries will be provided and recommended the creation of an internationalization plan. Wardroom agreement with the University has been in negotiations for 3-4 years, and is now finished. Galley agreement is coming up for renegotiation. Budget consultation is March 11, executive changeover is March 15, and his final Board Executive meeting will be March 17 (attending with incoming president, Victoria).

Kaitlyn: Meeting with dining service committee. Meeting with Daniel about travel workshop. Excited for incoming exec.

Victoria: Finance committee occurred twice since last meeting. Executive training began yesterday with CFS training, other training for office, Galley/Wardroom etc will take place over the next couple weeks. Budget Advisory Committee meetings, Finance Audit and Risk Committee meeting, President’s Advancement Advisory Committee meeting. Encourages all to attend tuition consultation on March 11. Spring General Meeting will be on March 30th.

Aideen is not in attendance. Their report is available in the Executive reports document.

Sam: Council, exec and committee meetings. Last solo TWAK tomorrow; next one will be done with the incoming CVP. Looking into Zoom issues; will need to change procedure to stop trolling.

Victoria: Looking into having the next council in-person.

10:30: 5.1 BIRT the King’s Wellness Society receive $51.13 in contingent funding for their interest meeting.

Recommended by Finance Committee. Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Nick.

Motivated by Victoria.

Motion passes.

10:32: 5.2 BIRT the King’s Literary Society receive $31.20 in non-contingent funding for one of their regular upcoming meetings

Recommended by Finance Committee. Moved by Vitoria.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Victoria.

Motion passes.

10:34: 5.3 BIRT the King’s Food Security Initiative receive $124.32 in contingent funding for food-box upkeep and isolation packages.

Recommended by Finance Committee. Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Nick.

Motivated by Victoria.

Motion passes.

10:37: 5.4 BIRT the King’s Student’s Union make a donation of $100 to an anti-war organization or charity of our discretion.

(further details available in the agenda)

Moved by Victoria.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Victoria.

Further motivated by Sam, including a recommendation of either the Canada-Ukraine Foundation of Doctors without Borders.

Victoria says that further discussion can take place after council, as the decision of a charity is not part of the motion.

Motion passes.

10:43: 5.5 BIRT The King’s Student’s Union write an open letter to the Halifax Police Department condemning their actions, and in solidarity with our unhoused neighbours; and

BIFRT The King’s Student’s Union contact the People’s Park to ask what folks need, and make a donation of necessary supplies to the People’s Park.

(further details available in the agenda)

Motion to amend the motion to be moved by Nick instead of Aideen passes.

Moved by Nick.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motivated by Nick.

Further motivated by Daniel.

Motion passes.

10:48: Whereas section 14.4 of the KSU bylaws requires an automatic motion to impeach a council member who misses three consecutive meetings without regrets, BIRT the Journalism Representative be impeached.

Motion fails.

Nick proposes to get in contact with the council member in question, and vote on this motion again next council if they do not attend.

10:55: Daniel mentions feedback he has submitted with thoughts on how to improve elections in future.

Nick says it has been sent to the CRO, and will be brought to Elections Committee and the General Meeting for discussion and voting.

10:56: Motion to adjourn.

Moved by Nick.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motion passes.

February 8th Emergency Council Liveblog

Hello everyone! This is the liveblog for the emergency council meeting today to discuss the motions meant for the last meeting.

4:04: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgment by Nick Harris. Agenda adopted by unanimous consent.

4:05: BIRT — be elected to the Dining Services Committee.

Moved by Kaitlyn MacNeill

Seconded by Daniel.

Kaitlyn motivates and nominates Daniel Konopelski.

4:06: BIRT Daniel Konopelski be elected to the Dining Services Committee.

Motion passes by unanimous consent.

4:07: BIRT the King’s Students Union Executive write a statement in solidarity with Acadia University Faculty Association expressing these concerns.

Full context provided in the meeting agenda.

Moved by Aideen Reynolds.

Seconded by Tessa Hill.

Aideen motivates. An Acadia student representative requested the KSU’s support, and she believes we should provide it. A draft was provided to council.

David Shuman asks whether other student unions have put out statements.

Aideen says not as far as she knows.

4:13: BIRT the King’s Students Union Executive write a statement in solidarity with Acadia University Faculty Association expressing these concerns.

Motion passes by unanimous consent.

4:13: Motion to adjourn.

Moved by Aideen.

Seconded by Sam.

4:14: Meeting adjourned.

February 6th Council Meeting Live Blog

Good morning everyone! Welcome to today’s council meeting, taking place over Zoom.

The meeting could not be called to order as it did not reach quorum.

January 23rd Council Live Blog

Good morning everyone! Welcome to today’s council meeting.

10:04: Meeting called to order, land acknowledgment.

10:09: Agenda adopted.

10:10: Meeting minutes from last meeting adopted (with minor corrections).

10:10: Oral reports of the councillors.

Victor: Working on refurbishing pool tables, hoping to plan a Valentine’s event, planning increased DSS visibility this semester.

Sara: Nothing to report. Looking forward to getting back to campus next week!

Tessa: Participating in Academic Accessibility Working group, otherwise nothing to report.

Daniel: Meeting with residence staff on January 17th to discuss concerns. Informal ukings2026 Instagram account has been established for incoming students.

Julian: Nothing to report. Suggests that therapy should be more accessible to students at King’s.

Victoria: Notes Dal’s same-day counselling services.

Nick: KSU health plan does cover therapy/social workers. Wait times at Dal are high.

Aideen: Mental health supports at King’s are lacking. Dal Health can be difficult to access and there is a lack of therapists in Halifax generally. Isa Wright (or Jordan or Rhema) can be resources to help find care.

10:24: Oral reports of the executive.

Nick’s report (President): Student businesses (Wardy and Galley) will likely reopen about two weeks into February due to logistics of COVID policies.

Residence issues have been brought forward. Assistant Dean of Residence position has had a lot of turnover, making the problem worse. Restructuring is happening, to make two positions (one for student support and one for programming/functional organization). Don positions will be structured differently, a different group will do patrol work.

COVID policies: required 3-ply masks and boosters now available. Permanent pass/fail option for courses will be implemented. Working on further built-in supports for students to not be academically left behind when they get sick.

International student tuition committee is hoping to have lower international student fees than Dalhousie. Hoping to hire someone to help international students specifically.

Aideen: Offers to create a survey to get an idea of student’s comfort level being on campus.

Nick: Most classes are not returning to in-person yet because the decision has been shifted to individual faculties.

Daniel: FYP will be returning in-person, though tutorials are online or in-person.

Nick: Lectures are probably going to be posted as well.

Sara: That has not been well-communicated.

Nick: I will ask.

Julian: The option to stay online should stay open to students.

Nick: No decision can make everyone happy, but they should keep both options available for students.

Victoria: Profs don’t necessarily know how to facilitate a hybrid model and don’t have support to do so.

Daniel: Looking forward to residence changes, as it sounds like a positive impact will be made.

Kaitlyn’s report (SLVP): Executive meetings, office hours, meeting with residence staff on January 17th with Danial, advertising CKDU survey.

Victoria’s report (FVP): Budget Advisory Committee meetings, specifically regarding residence for next year; lots in discussion but no decisions made as of yet.

Daniel: Suggests video tours of all types of rooms to give incoming students a better idea of their accommodations.

Victoria: That conversation is being had, many people have brought up similar concerns.

Aideen’s report (EVP): Meeting with Julian about the Residence Representative role. Meeting with Non-Academic Accessibility working group. Nominations for the Executive Committee and Board of Governors open January 28th.

Sam’s report (CVP): TWAK last week, will go out again tomorrow. Preparing to advertise TWAK in-person upon return to campus.

10:55: Reports finished.

10:56: Discussion of ratification of the King’s Wellness Society.

11:00: BIRT the King’s Wellness Society be ratified

Put forward by Kaitlyn.

Seconded.

PASSES.

11:01: Motion to adjourn

Put forward by Nick.

Seconded by Victoria.

Meeting ends. Thanks everyone!

January 9th 2022 Council Live Blog

Good morning everyone! Welcome to the first council meeting of 2022/the winter term. Council is on Zoom today.

10:06: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgements by Emma Oliver and Aideen.

10:09: Agenda adopted. Meeting minutes from last council on December 5th approved.

10:10: Oral reports of the councillors.

Daniel: Helping to seek information and support from professors regarding online FYP, creation of a report about on-campus happenings during the break.

Question from Aideen: Can Daniel and Kaitlyn set up a meeting to discuss action items from Daniel’s report?

Daniel: Agrees.

Julian: Nothing to report. Plans to meet with the new assistant Dean of residence soon.

Emy: Nothing to report. Plans to be more vocal about availability to provide support for Arts students in future.

Sara: Nothing to report.

Victor: Pool stuff should be refurbished by the time King’s returns in-person.

10:16: Reports of the executive (full reports on Facebook).

Nick’s report (President): Acted as the contact person for urgent matters over the break. Involved in the hiring process of the new Assistant Dean, and the evolution of the role to include two positions in the future. Hot chocolate social for campus workers happened right before the break. Committee work.

Kaitlyn’s report (SLVP): Virtual office hours. Meetings with OH&S concerning evolving COVID-19 regulations. Planning to put together a team to participate in a fundraiser for the Halifax Humanities Society coming up at the end of January.

Victoria’s repost (FVP): Budget advisory committee meeting – discussions about tuition and fees for next year, particularly regarding the international student differential.

Nick: Notes some ideas and anticipated decisions from the other budget committee.

Victoria: Has mentioned student concerns about unequal fees for different rooms. Asks Julian to speak more on these concerns to residence staff if he has anything to add.

Aideen’s report (EVP): Nominations for Executive Committee and Board of Governors open soon. Otherwise, nothing to report.

Daniel: Is this for KSU council?

Aideen: Yes. Executive roles and BOG reps are elected second semester, while most council reps are elected first semester.

Sam’s report (CVP): Some Instagram stories were posted over the break, TWAK will go out tomorrow. Creations and posting of graphics about COVID information. Upcoming workshops hosted by SVPRO Jordan Roberts.

10:31: Nick explains that councillor training will happen in the next couple of weeks.

10:32: Increasing supports in residence may cause a 1-2% increase in residence fees.

Aideen, Victoria and Julian speak to concerns about this possibility and the current situation with online learning.

10:38: Concerns about online learning continue to be discussed.

Victoria: Asks students taking King’s courses to provide feedback regarding online learning.

10:42: Nick says that Dalhousie Faculty Association is advocating for courses to be online all winter term. King’s decision could differ from Dal’s.

10:44: Daniel speaks about the current FYP and residence situation.

Victoria: What will happen for people who choose not to return to residence and cannot come back for their stuff?

Aideen: Suggests that the union could help.

10:48: Continuation of discussions about factors related to the current situation with evolving COVID regulations.

10:59: Nick motions to adjourn. Seconded by Aideen.

11:00: Meeting adjourned.

December 5th Council Live Blog

Hey everyone! Welcome to the last council meeting of the fall semester.

10:10: Meeting called to order. Land acknowledgement of Mi’kma’ki.

10:11: Agenda adopted

10:12: Motion to approve minutes from the last meeting

Amendments made to correct spelling errors and note that the scribe for last meeting was different than listed.

10:14 Minutes adopted with amendments.

10:14: Oral reports of councillors.

Victor: Updates to Wardy pool table, getting started with upcoming events.

Daniel: Busy last couple of weeks, last FYP Sunday of the semester. Will be staying on campus over break, thinking about FYP t-shirts. Office hours.

Elli: Set up office hours, making students aware of accommodations available.

Sara: Office hours, learned how to live blog, finance committee.

10:19: Concludes the councillor reports.

10:20: Reports of the executive (full reports available on Facebook).

Nick’s report (President): General presidential duties, lots of work on upcoming accessibility measures, tuition committee. Campus workers social on Wednesday. Conversations about residence issues have been had and measures are being taken. Council will reconvene again in January!

Aideen: When will student consultation about finance/tuition take place?

Nick: February.

Kaitlyn’s SLVP report: Office hours, regular meetings. Meeting with Occupational Health and Safety Committee about Dal’s COVID procedures next semester. Final decision likely to come tomorrow.

Victoria’s Financial VP report: General finance upkeep, finance committee. Attended Wardy care space. Contacted societies about Snow Week, attended budget advisory committee.

Aideen’s External VP report: Attended Wardy care space, continuing use of active listener buttons. Meeting with Isa about gaps in mental health care. Meeting with Trans Students Support Coordinator Hiring Committee, reopening nominations for position, hiring deferred to January. Non-academic Accessibility Advisory Committee, suggestion to use Mi’kmaq on signage. Investment Committee.

Daniel: Suggests exploration of the possibility of virtual peer support office hours. Suggestion to perhaps also use French on signage.

Sam’s Communications VP report: Remind people to send things for TWAK! Meeting with Vice President and Dean of Students to discuss student support and FYP/Dal Faculty of Arts and Science accessibility and long-term support for students in response to recent events. Attended Wardy care space. Upcoming events: Memorial tomorrow, Home for the Holidays Workshop on Thursday.

Daniel: Has seen support in place for students in FYP.

10:37: Concludes the reports of the executive committee.

10:37: BIRT the Council establish a committee to contact a worker’s union for the purpose of unionizing the residing Dons of the University of King’s College.

Moved by Luke Baumgart.

Seconded by Daniel.

Luke motivates the motion with information about the issues concerning the Dons’ current situation.

Nick and Aideen motivate concerning the KSU’s place in this issue, changes taking place otherwise and current Dons’ feedback.

Nick moves to table the motion until the second meeting of the New Year.

Seconded by Victor.

Motion to table passes.

Daniel: Will report on residence conditions over winter break.

10:58:

5.2 BIRT Mason Carter be temporarily appointed to the Occupational Health and Safety committee, until such time as nominations can be opened and an election take place at the subsequent council.

Moved by Nick Harris.

Seconded by Victoria.

Motivated by Nick.

11:00: Vote on motion, motion passes.

11:01: Next motion introduced by Nick due to Chair conflict of interest.

5.3 BIRT Emma Oliver be paid $850 for their role as Chair.

Moved by Victoria Gibbs.

Seconded by Aideen.

Motivated by Victoria and Nick.

11:02: Vote on motion, motion passes.

11:03:

5.4 BIRT Raessa Alibhai be paid $400 for their role as scribe.

Moved by Victoria Gibbs.

Seconded by Nick.

Motivated by Victoria.

11:04: Vote on motion, motion passes.

11:04:

BIRT the King’s Literary Society receive $75.69 in non-contingent funding to cover costs of food and drinks for their event in the lodge, “Frivols”.

Recommended by Finance Committee, moved by Victoria Gibbs.

Seconded by Sam.

Motivated by Victoria.

11:06: Vote on motion, motion passes.

11:07:

BIRT the King’s Foraging Society receive $24.00 in contingent funding to pay an experienced foraging and nature walk expert for their nature walk event.

Recommended by Finance Committee, moved by Victoria Gibbs.

Seconded by Daniel.

Motivated by Victoria.

11:09: Vote on motion, motion passes.

11:09: New Business

11:09:

Victoria Gibbs brings forward a motion to pay the King’s Food Security Initiative $50.00 to stock their food box over exam season.

Seconded by Nick.

11:12: Vote on motion, motion passes.

11:12: Nick highlights upcoming resource-sharing event on campus put together by Raessa.

11:13:

BIRT that the union make inquiries into residence council’s operation.

Moved by Luke Baumgart.

Seconded by Aideen.

Daniel explains that residence council is student-run and there has been a lack of initiative and ability from students to make residence council happen.

Victoria proposes to hold a general meeting of residence council in January to get student feedback and involvement.

11:19: Luke retracts the motion.

11:19: Daniel asks about FYP t-shirts; Nick says they will return to this in the new year.

11:20: Meeting adjourned.

Live Blog Council March 14th

Hey Everyone! Welcome to the live blogs for today’s council! This will be the last council with the current exec as the changeover for 2021/2022 is tomorrow!

5:03: Meeting called to order. Chris presents the land acknowledgement for those currently residing in the HRM. Isabella presents the land acknowledgment for the territory of the Cosalish people, in BC.

5:05: Agenda adopted

5:05: Minutes from the last meeting approved

5:07: Oral reports of the councillors

Victoria: Attended BAC and FAR committee meetings, met with Jackie about the incoming FVP position. Attended fight the fees meeting, university fee consult and hosted the virtual escape room event with Mason.

Ry and Aideen: Lots of work on fight the fees, reoccurring meetings on Tuesday at 7. Aideen attending the university fee consult, prepping for the changeover. Ryland also attended fight the fees and says thank you to the outgoing exec!

Kaitlyn: Changeover meetings, attended OH&S meeting with Mason. the EDI and university fee consult.

Nathan: Attended the fee consult after consulting with as many students as possible beforehand. Nathan wanted to focus heavily on the change in the quality of education students have expressed this year. Currently trying to set dates for March meeting with society presidents.

Ridge: Reporting on behalf of himself and Kailen. Ridge has been involved with the resident council. Kailen’s main focus has been with the residence council and is continuing work with that.

Emma: Attended committee meetings, has continued acting as a day student representative in several capacities. Had to make the decision to extend candidate deadlines for the Day Student Society executive elections until next week. Emma says reach out if you’re interested! You can email her or reach out through the DSS socials.

David asks why a DSS rep sits at a residence committee. Emma responds that the idea is for the DSS rep to bring experience, collaborate, and sort of act as a “don” for day students.

Stephen: Stephen has had correspondence with the Director and Associate Director of the J-School with concerns from himself and another student re: a workshop 4th years are enrolled in, without a proper syllabus, class recordings on youtube, no clear guidelines for a final project, and concerns around a 10% grade for “professionalism”, Had good conversations with them and saw immediate action taken.

5:19: Concludes the councillor reports. This will be the final report of the current exec, and Chris wants to recognize their work amidst an unprecedented year.

5:20: Reports of the executive: these should be available along with the minutes from this council once they are approved at the next meeting.

5:51: Concludes reports of the executive committee.

Action Items:

5.1. BIRT the CRO be paid $425 for their work in the fall term.
Moved by Isabella MacKay

Seconded by Aideen

Isabella and Nick motivate by the motion.

Isabella moved to amend the motion to read “winter term” not “fall term”

Motion to amend passed

Amended motion 5.1 has passed

5:54:

5.2. BIRT ___________, ___________, and __________, be elected to the Orientation Week
Coordinator Hiring Committee .
Moved by Isabella MacKay

Seconded by Nick

There are five nominations to fill these blanks.

Motivations are taking place.

A vote has determined that the blanks should be filled with: Hannah Perry, Michael Greenlaw, Neyve Egger

6:08: Vote on Motion. Motion passed.

6:09:

5.3. BIRT ___________, ___________, and __________, be elected to the Chair hiring Committee.
Moved by Isabella MacKay

There are three nominations.

Motivations are now taking place

Seeing as there are only three nominations, we are moving to fill the blanks with Nathan Ferguson, Adriana Vanos, and Emma Oliver.

Motion passed

6:15:

5.4. BIRT ___________, ___________, and __________, be elected to the Chief Returning Officer
Hiring Committee .
Moved by Isabella MacKay

Seconded by Stephen

There are three nominations

Motivations

6:23: Vote to fill the blanks with Levi Clarkson, Emily Reid and Lara Van de Venter

Motion passed.

6:24:

5.5. BIRT ___________, ___________, and __________, be elected to the Scribe Hiring Committee
Moved by Isabella MacKay

There are three nominations

Motivations

6:27: Vote to fill the blanks with Emma Oliver, Patsy Ginou, and Brooklyn Craig

Motion Passed

6:28:

5.6. BIRT ___________, ___________, and __________, be elected to the Healthy Active Living
Program Coordinator Hiring Committee.
Moved by Mason Carter

There are three nominations

Motivations

6:33: Vote to fill the blanks with Emalyn Armstrong, Hope Moon, and Michael Greenlaw

Motion passed

6:34:

5.7. BIRT ___________, ___________, and __________, be elected to the Equity Officer Hiring
Committee.
Moved by Isabella MacKay

There are three nominations.

Motivations.

6:40: Vote to fill the blanks with Marlee Sansom, Kiera Doyle, and Hope Moon

Motion Passed

6:41:

New Business

Goodbyes <3 From Levi at their last council!

Motivational Speech from Nick! 🙂 <3

Mason saying thank yous and goodbyes <3

6:48: Council Adjourned <3

 

 

 

Live Blog: Council, Sunday February 28th, 2021

5:02: Meeting Called to Order

Land Acknowledgement

5:03: Adoption of the Agenda

No amendments to be made

Agenda is Adopted

5:04: Adoption of the Minutes from the last meeting

Levi has proposed amendments. Minor spelling problem with the spelling of Katie Merwin’s

Amendment Adopted

5:08: Motion to add additional content warnings to last meetings minutes for sensitive content

And motions to correct some grammatical errors.

5:12: All amendments adopted by unanimous consent

5:13: Minutes adopted by unanimous consent

5:14: Reports of Councillors

Nathan does not have much to report

Victoria has started exec training, met with Nick, and the Virtual Escape Room Event should be going forward Thursday

Aideen and Ry have discussed changeover, and Aideen has attended meetings in regards to changeover, Ry and Aideen have upcoming meetings regarding the changeover

Kaitlyn is also doing work in regards to the changeover, will be shadowing some meetings with Mason. Has also been in touch with first-year students in regards to issues with FYP lectures after reading week

Ridge attended the zoom residence panel with Kailen, and they got together with other residence students for a debrief afterwards

Stephen attended NASH83, a virtual conference for student journalists. And is working to get more feedback from his google form

Emma does not have much to report, but she has been preparing for DSS Elections. Current residence students who will be day students next year are welcome to run!

Kailen is reviewing reports she was given from the residence panel.

5:26: Reports of the Executive

Information about reports should be available within the minutes from this meeting when they are approved on March 14th!

5:49: Reports of the staff. Rebecca and JM are presenting reports.

6:06: JM’s Report

6:23: Moving on to Action Items

6:33: Motion 6.1 has passed

6:38: Motion 6.2 has passed

6:39: New Business

6:39: Motion to Adjourn

6:39: Motion passed. See you March 14th!